Eudoxus of Cnidus
- He studied mathematics in Tarentum
- He studied medicine on Sicily
- At 23 he went to Plato’s Academy in Athens to study philosophy and rhetoric.
- Some time later he went to Egypt to study Astronomy at Helopolis
- He established a school at Cyzicus on the sea of Marmona
- In 365 BC he returned to Athens with his pupils and became a colleague of Plato’s at the Academy.
- He was the leading mathematician and astronomer of his day.
- Developed an ingenious planetary system based on concentric spheres.
- Earth being the center most sphere out of 28
- The outermost sphere carries the fixed stars.
- The others account for the sun, the moon, and the 5 planets.
- Each planet requires 4 spheres, while the sun and moon required 3 each.
[gigya src=”http://prezi.com/bin/preziloader.swf” allowfullscreen=”true” allowscriptaccess=”always” width=”550″ height=”400″ bgcolor=”#ffffff” flashvars=”prezi_id=db2mh36ihhk4&lock_to_path=0&color=ffffff&autoplay=no&autohide_ctrls=0″ ]